Saturday, August 17, 2024

Sooraj Barjatya gives his FIRST reaction on winning the National Award for Uunchai: “I feel I have truly climbed my Everest today”

Today saw the announcement of the 70th National Film Awards winners, and Sooraj Barjatya took home the Best Director award for his beloved film Uunchai. The filmmaker, whose family dramas have a huge following, only talked about winning the National Award.

"When I started with Uunchai, I was often told that it is not my kind of film to make," Sooraj Barjatya began. It lacked extravagant costumes, big dance numbers, or extravagant sets. Uunchai, however, came from my heart. The plot was not selected by me as the director. The story of Uunchai chose me! Today, I am grateful that story chose me. I received my first National Award for Best Director from Uunchaiga. My film and I have been on a beautiful journey, and today we arrive at a perfect conclusion!"


Sooraj Barjatya responded, "I am humbled to be honored among the best that the country has seen in cinema during 2022," when asked how he felt about receiving the National Award. It brings me back 30 years, to when the National Award for Best Film went to Hum Aapke Hain Koun (1994). I was a young director at the time, and the rush and happiness I felt was insane! However, as I receive the National Award for Best Director for Uunchai today, I am calm and grateful. Today, happiness and joy are much more internal. For the past 35 years, my job as a director has been to keep telling stories. And I'm not finished yet; there will be a lot more!"

How significant is the National Award to him? "Our National Film Awards unite our industry because they are a celebration of films made in every language," Sooraj Barjatya replied with a smile. At this point, winning the Best Director award completely humbles and honors me. Today, I truly believe I have scaled my Everest. My entire senior cast of actors and technicians, who collaborated with me to fight the pandemic and shoot in unheard-of locations, deserve this immense recognition."

The director responded, "Uunchaiwas a special film made in the 75th year of our production house," when asked to name the recipient of the honor. I would like to dedicate this award to Rajshri Productions as well as to all of my family's elders, from whom we continue to learn how to tell stories that can inspire, cheer, and help us trust one another and the power of goodness."

Amitabh Bachchan, Boman Irani, Anupam Kher, Danny Denzongpa, Neena Gupta, Sarika, and Parineeti Chopra were all in the movie Uunchai. It is the account of three companions who, in spite of their advanced age, trip to the Everest Headquarters for their departed companion. Rajshri Productions (P) Ltd., Mahaveer Jain Films, and Boundless Media were the producers. Additionally, Neena Gupta was awarded the National Award for Best Supporting Actress.

No comments:

Post a Comment