Sunday, May 24, 2026

Chand Mera Dil Box Office: Film opens on expected lines, collects Rs. 3.31 crores

Since Chand Mera Dil is an urban romantic drama focused on mature relationships and mostly targets urban youth, people expected it to start well and then possibly grow over the weekend, and then have steady performance during the weekdays to sustain its run.

 Getting between Rs. 3 to 4 crores would have been normal for this film, especially because in recent years, it has become really tough for most movies to attract audiences to the theatres.

The film actually opened within this expected range, earning Rs. 3.31 crores.
 Lower ticket prices also played a part, especially in the morning and afternoon shows. This is because at expensive multiplexes, especially in the evening and night, people are willing to pay more, so lower prices don’t make much difference. But at cheaper multiplexes, this strategy helps, and it will be interesting to see if the film continues this offer in the coming days, especially on weekdays, so that more people who are careful about how much they spend on going to the movies can come in in bigger numbers.

Meanwhile, the film starring Lakshya and Ananya Panday now needs a good jump starting from today.
 The film was made at a reasonable cost, and it has already made good money through other platforms like OTT, satellite and music. Still, when a film is shown in theatres, box office numbers have their own appeal, and reasonable numbers in the coming weeks will be important to watch.

Call Me Bae creator Collin D’Cunha says Chand Mera Dil features Ananya Panday’s “most mature” performance yet, “I couldn’t be prouder”

There was a time when Ananya Panday was mainly known for cute, fun roles that appealed to younger audiences. But in recent years, she has quietly changed how people see her on screen. Her new roles have focused more on showing real emotions and deep feelings. In fact, Ananya has slowly moved from being seen as a cheerful young star in Bollywood to an actress who is getting more praise for her emotional performances. According to the creator of Call Me Bae, Collin D'Cunha, her performance in Chand Mera Dil could be her biggest step yet.

EXCLUSIVE: Collin D'Cunha says Ananya Panday's performance in Chand Mera Dil is her most mature one so far, "I couldn't be prouder."


Speaking exclusively about Ananya's role as Chandni in the film, Collin said, "Ananya as Chandni is her most mature, most layered, most nuanced performance yet.
 She genuinely surprised me with the depth she brought to her character and with her silences and the restraint she showed. I didn't see that coming and I couldn't be prouder."

This statement is especially meaningful because Collin has already seen Ananya grow while working with her on Call Me Bae.
 While the series showed her talent for comedy and pop-culture roles, Chand Mera Dil seems to challenge her in a more emotionally intense way.

Discussions about Ananya in the industry have also changed over the years.
 Movies like Gehraiyaan and Kho Gaye Hum Kahan allowed audiences to see a more calm and natural side of her acting, moving away from the image she had when she first started her career.

This shift seems to continue with Chand Mera Dil, which is being promoted as a deep romantic drama centered on heartbreak, longing, and young love.
 She is paired with Lakshya, and her softer on-screen presence in the film's promos has already started conversations online. Many viewers are calling it her most emotionally grounded performance so far.

What stands out most in Collin's praise is his focus on "silences" and "restraint" — qualities often seen as signs of an actor gaining confidence in their craft.
 Instead of relying on big dramatic moments, the performance seems to find strength in emotional subtlety.

For an actress whose journey has always been under public attention, Chand Mera Dil could well become the project that marks Ananya Panday's move from a young Bollywood celebrity to a performer who is starting to be taken far more seriously.

Hai Jawani Toh Ishq Hona Hai trailer launch: Ramesh Taurani BREAKS silence on legal feud with Vashu Bhagnani: “There’s no problem…we are handling it”; Varun sings ‘Jeena Laga Hoon’ and asks, “Ramesh ji, iss gaane ke rights hai na

Varun Dhawan, Pooja Hegde, Mrunal Thakur, David Dhawan, Ramesh Taurani, Anu Malik, Sameer, Maniesh Paul, Chunky Panday, Rajesh Kumar, Jimmy Sheirgill, Rajat Rawail, Ali Asgar, Girish Kumar, Kumar Taurani, writer Rumy Jafry and cinematographer Ayananka Bose attended the trailer launch of Hai Jawani Toh Ishq Hona Hai in Mumbai on May 23.
 The trailer launch was originally planned for May 21 but was postponed at the last minute. Varun started the event by talking about the delay.

Varun Dhawan said, Thank you to the media and fans for coming again.
 I really mean it, because you all came twice, even in this hot Mumbai weather. So, each of you will get Fast & Up and a free iPhone from Ramesh ji 

Maniesh Paul, in his usual style, joked, This is the first time in cinema history that a trailer launch had a rehearsal!
 You all came for the rehearsal, and it was great. And we are happy you made it for the real event too (smiles).

The film is involved in a legal issue after Vashu Bhagnani took the matter to court over the use of the songs Ishq Sona Hai’ and ‘Chunari Chunari.
 He claims that the songs are from his film Biwi No 1 (1999), so the makers of Hai Jawani Toh Ishq Hona Hai cannot use them. Tips, on the other hand, says they have the rights to use the songs.

Ramesh Taurani was asked about the case and he said, There is no problem at all.
 Whatever happened, it has been sorted out. And it will be sorted out again. So, there is no issue. Also, it is a sub-judice matter. Hence, we are handling it.  

Varun also hinted at the issue when the film team was being called.
 When it was time to call Girish Kumar, he said, “I want to sing one song for Girish. It’s my favorite song and I was listening to it in the car today.” Varun then sang ‘Jeena Laga Hoon’ from Ramaiya Vastavaiya (2013), starring Girish.

After singing the song, Varun made everyone laugh by asking, Ramesh ji, iss gaane ke rights hai na?  Ramesh laughed and replied, We have all the rights! Maniesh Paul joked, if not, then we will have to come again!

Hai Jawani Toh Ishq Hona Hai releases in cinemas on June 5.

Saturday, May 23, 2026

Rajkummar Rao, Keerthy Suresh starrer Raftaar gets new release date; film to arrive in theatres in October

Actor Rajkummar Rao's upcoming movie Raftaar has finally set a new date for its release. The film also stars Keerthy Suresh in the main role and is now planned to show in cinemas on October 16, which is during the extended Dussehra weekend.
  
Raftaar, an Amazon MGM Studios Original, is directed by Aditya Nimbalkar and made by Patralekhaa under Kampa Film.
 The film is also executive produced by Tarun Bali, with the story and script written by Rohan Narula. PVR INOX Pictures will handle the theatrical release. Alongside Rajkummar Rao and Keerthy Suresh, the film also includes Anurag Thakur, Rohan Verma, Tanya Maniktala, and Rajat Kapoor in important roles.

For Rajkummar Rao and Patralekhaa, this film is an important step in their journey as producers in the theatrical industry.
 Rajkummar shared a heartfelt message on social media to announce the new release date. He wrote, "They say building a dream takes time, but living it takes even more hustle! RAFTAAR is not just a film, it’s our first step into the theatrical world, a labour of belief, grit and countless dreams. When something is this personal and special, it deserves the time to grow into something truly memorable. That's why we are now arriving, in cinemas, on 16 October for the extended Dussehra weekend. When you see RAFTAAR, you won't just watch a film, you'll recognise the hustle, the ambition, the fear and the hope that drive every dream. Thank you for being our strength. We're almost there. (Our dreams’ speed) full on hai (and) hustle also. Catch you on 16th October in Theatres."

Raftaar is set in the fast-growing ed-tech industry in India and follows the journey of a start-up and the intense ambition of its main characters.
 The story is about a determined man and an ambitious woman dealing with success, greed, power, and relationships in a world where moral lines are often unclear.

The makers say the film combines emotional drama with themes like ambition and modern entrepreneurial culture, while also looking at the personal costs that come with success.
 With the Dussehra holiday period expected to give a strong audience for theatrical releases, Raftaar is preparing for a wide release later this year.

Chand Mera Dil collects Rs. 3.75 crore on Friday; Lakshya and Ananya Panday starrer aims at a Saturday jump

Lakshya and Ananya Panday's movie *Chand Mera Dil* has started well at the box office in India. Early estimates show the romantic story made between Rs. 3.5 crore to Rs. 4 crore on Friday, which matches what the industry expected before the film came out. The first day's success was partly because of lower ticket prices, which helped more people watch the film.

The first day sets up a good chance for the movie to do well over the weekend, with higher earnings on Saturday and Sunday.
 However, it's not enough on its own. The film needs steady business on Monday to truly be successful in the long run.

*Chand Mera Dil* will be in theaters for two weeks before the release of *Hai Jawani Toh Ishq Hona Hai* on June 5.
 The team hopes the movie will do well on Monday and then keep up a steady performance. For Lakshya, this is a great start. His box office numbers are about 400% higher than his first film, *Kill*, which opened around Rs. 1 crore.

The production costs are under control, but the film still needs to perform well to be a success in theaters.

Richa Chadha And Ali Fazal to launch New Zealand’s first Indian Film Festival; Girls Will Be Girls screening planned for June 2

Actors Richa Chadha and Ali Fazal will be at the official start of New Zealand’s first-ever Indian film festival, called The Indian Film Festival of New Zealand (TIFFNZ), on June 2, 2026. The event will also include a special showing of *Girls Will Be Girls*, the first movie the actor-producer pair made together. This film has already been shown at several big international film festivals, like Sundance and the Independent Spirit Awards.

TIFFNZ is set to begin in October 2026 and will be the first Indian film festival focused solely on Indian cinema in New Zealand.
 The festival was started by Petrina D’Rozario and aims to celebrate Indian films and promote more creative and cultural work between India and New Zealand.

The launch of TIFFNZ will be a big deal for Richa Chadha and Ali Fazal, as they have been growing their careers beyond acting into film production.
 They have worked on projects that mix popular appeal with unique storytelling and support films that have a global audience.

In a joint statement, Richa Chadha and Ali Fazal said, “We’re really happy to be part of TIFFNZ’s launch.
 Film festivals help build conversations and give space for different stories. It feels great to bring Indian cinema to New Zealand in a special and celebratory way. We’re excited to support this new chapter and connect with audiences there.”

The TIFFNZ festival is planned as a four-day event in Auckland, Wellington, and Christchurch.
 In addition to showing films, the festival will have workshops, cultural events, and discussions to bring filmmakers, audiences, and industry people from both countries together.

The organizers say the first edition of TIFFNZ will include almost 30 films, both long and short.
 The selection will show the variety of Indian cinema and also give more attention to South Asian voices in New Zealand.

*Girls Will Be Girls* remains an important part of Richa Chadha and Ali Fazal’s work as producers.
 The movie got a lot of attention at international film festivals for its coming-of-age story and has helped the couple gain recognition on a global stage.

As TIFFNZ gets ready for its first event later this year, the launch event with Richa Chadha and Ali Fazal is expected to start a new cultural and cinematic connection between Indian and New Zealand film industries.

Vashu Bhagnani vs Tips-Dhawans row gets UGLIER; a source hits back, “Hai Jawani Toh Ishq Hona Hai has NOTHING to do with Biwi No. 1; Dhawans paid Rs. 16 cr. from their own pocket to save Coolie No. 1 vendors from suffering”

Vashu Bhagnani had a big press meeting on May 22 with some reporters. He said that producer Ramesh Taurani of Tips can't use songs from his old movie, Biwi No 1 (1999). He also said that the story of Hai Jawani Toh Ishq Hona Hai might be similar to Biwi No 1. Source talked to someone who gave the other side's story.

Source spoke to a person who gave the other side's version.
 This person spoke without saying their name. They said, "Vashu Bhagnani lost the case in the Supreme Court. That's why the Hai Jawani Toh Ishq Hona Hai team is going ahead with the trailer tomorrow. If Bhagnani's claims were true, why would the makers act so confidently? Bhagnani said he wanted to make a sequel to Biwi No 1 with David and Varun. But Varun had never worked with Puja Entertainment again after Coolie No 1, not even for Biwi No 1. So, why is there a question about Varun being part of this new film?"

At the press conference, Vashu Bhagnani said, "I wasn't really in charge of Coolie No 1 (2020).
 David ji handled everything. I gave him a lot of money to make that film—almost Rs. 70 crores, which wasn't even fair."

The source responded sharply, "This is ridiculous.
 Vendors weren't paid for Coolie No 1. It was Bhagnani who had to pay them. But the Dhawans paid nearly Rs. 16 crores from their own money to clear debts because their reputation was in trouble. They did it so that people working on the film weren’t left out. Now, instead of acknowledging this, Bhagnani is talking like this in public."

The source added, "Also, David Dhawan was never paid Rs. 70 crores.
 If he had been, he would have been the highest-paid director in the country. Can Bhagnani show any proof or documents to back this claim? He should release the agreement or payment details. Until then, it's just a wild guess."

The source continued, "He's saying that the Dhawans didn't talk to him.
 But did he talk to them? He didn’t. Some people tried to reach out to Bhagnani, but he didn’t answer. So it's unfair to say only one side should have tried to talk. Communication is a two-way street. It's also strange that it was known months ago that 'Chunari Chunari' is part of Hai Jawani Toh Ishq Hona Hai. Yet, he filed the case just a month before the release. Why wait so long? Why create all this noise just when the trailer is about to come out?"

The source said, "Hai Jawani Toh Ishq Hona Hai has nothing to do with Biwi No 1.
 That film was about a married man having an affair. This one is about a double pregnancy. The stories are completely different. Just because David Dhawan is directing the film and an old song is being used, it doesn't automatically mean it's a remake or similar to Biwi No 1. Anyway, the trailer will be out tomorrow, and everyone will see the truth. Once the trailer is out and people know the film has nothing to do with Biwi No 1, will Bhagnani and Puja Entertainment apologize?"

The source ended with a pointed comment, saying, "The Dhawans have stayed quiet for a long time, but that doesn’t mean they are weak.
 They have protected their dignity, paid people from their own money when needed, and moved on. But if false stories are being made now, the facts also need to come out."