Monday, October 5, 2026

Ramesh Taurani reveals how his Rs. 5 lakh cheque helped Salman Khan get paid and kickstarted Patthar Ke Phool – a film that was NEVER supposed to be made

Ramesh Taurani and Kumar Taurani talked to Komal Nahta about their journey and experiences working on music for some important films in their career.Ramesh started by saying, "The first film we bought the music rights for was Gunahon Ka Devta in 1990.We paid Rs.2.25 lakhs for it.We both didn't sleep for two nights because we had given Rs.25,000 to the makers.We were wondering, 'How will we pay Rs.2 lakhs?' (laughs)!We also bought the music rights for Elaan-E-Jung from 1989, which was again an action film.We wanted to prove ourselves.So, we put up six hoardings in Mumbai, in areas like Bandra and Juhu.Imagine a music company putting up posters for an action film.But it worked because it started a conversation with filmmakers.They thought, 'This is a good music company!'"

Ramesh continued, "Then, we got the rights for Patthar Ke Phool in 1991.
Bhagyashree took all the credit for Maine Pyar Kiya from 1989.Three months after its release, Salman Khan didn't have any film in the works.That's when Salim saab asked G P Sippy saab to announce that he was producing Salman's next film.He told Sippy saab, 'Even if you don't make the film, the announcement will give some boost.'"

Ramesh shared, "I read in Film Information magazine that G P Sippy had signed Salman Khan.
The news came out on Saturday.On Monday, I was in G P Sippy saab's office.I told him I wanted to buy the music rights.I asked, 'Have you already picked a music director?' He said, 'No.' Then I asked if they had a lyricist.He said, 'Not yet.' I suggested bringing back the Maine Pyar Kiya team—music director Raamlaxman, lyricist Dev Kohli, and singers S P Balasubrahmanyam and Lata Mangeshkar.I told him, 'This combination is the best.Tell me your price.'" 

Ramesh added, "G P Sippy saab said he hadn't thought much about the music and asked me to come back in two days.
In the meantime, he was talking to Viveck Vaswani, who wanted to make a film called Patthar Ke Phool with a budget of Rs.80 lakhs.He wanted to cast Salman Khan and Raveena Tandon, Ravi Tandon's daughter.Sippy saab initially said no, thinking it was a small project.But after meeting me, he said, 'A music expert has come for an announcement.So we will start this project.'"

Ramesh stated, "He called Viveck Vaswani and the next day, he met Raamlaxman to discuss the fees.
Raamlaxman asked for Rs.12 lakhs.The next day, G P Sippy saab told me, 'That's too expensive.He asked for Rs.12 lakh.' At that time, Anand-Milind's music rights were sold for about Rs.2-3 lakhs, and Laxmikant-Pyarelal’s were sold for Rs.3-5 lakhs.I was in a tough spot because I had suggested Raamlaxman's name!Finally, we negotiated and bought the rights for Rs.10 lakhs."

Ramesh then said, "We gave G P Sippy saab the first cheque of Rs.
5 lakhs.From that amount, payments were made to Salman, Raveena, and Salim saab, who was also the film's writer.That's how the film started shooting!"

No comments:

Post a Comment